Amsterdam has quickly become one of the top pet-friendly destinations in Europe for a reason – if you’ve ever been here, you will notice that dogs are allowed pretty much anywhere. There are a lot of pet-friendly hotels and getting around the city with your pooch is no problem: Dogs of any size are allowed on trams, buses and the metro (and it’s free for them to travel!).
Here are some tips of spots you can’t miss if you decide to bring your pup on a trip to Amsterdam:
The city is filled with parks with huge lawns where you’re free to play fetch with your dog. Near the center, you can find Sarphatipark, Oosterpark, Westerpark and Vondelpark just to name a few. Flevopark even has a swimming area for dogs in the summer – don’t miss it!
Restaurants and cafes
There are a lot of options when it comes to eating out, as most of the restaurants in Amsterdam are dog-friendly. We selected a few of our favorite spots:
- De Vondeltuin: Great place to have a couple of drinks after a long walk in the park. Your dog can’t leave Amsterdam without going to the most famous park in the city!
- De Bakkerswinkel: This adorable coffee place has some great snacks (sandwiches, soups, etc.). They’ve got great service and are super eco-friendly: All coffee cups are 100% compostable!
- Coffee Bru: Located close to Oosterpark, Coffee Bru is very cozy and offers great coffee and delicious sweet treats. Great stop after playing fetch with your dog in the park!
- Drovers Dog: If you are a little hungrier, Drover’s Dog might be the perfect stop. Delicious burgers and a great selection of beers are on the menu.
- Rederij Paping: get to know the city through a canal ride – and bring your dog with you! The Rederij Paping tour is one of the city’s only pet-friendly canal rides!
Finally, here are some important remarks to keep in mind when coming to Amsterdam with your dog:
– Beaches: unfortunately, there’s a rule that forbids dogs to go to the beach during spring and summer. Some beaches allow dogs during certain hours of the day (make sure to check with your hotel or with your local tourist office). However, if you’re visiting the Netherlands between October and April, dogs are allowed without a leash on beaches. Yay!
– Always carry a poop bag or scoop with you. You’re required by law to clean up after your dog and failing to do so is punishable by fines!
Do you have any other tips on great places to go with your dog in Amsterdam? Share them with us in the comments below!